24/7 EMERGENCY SERVICE

New Forecasts Suggest Slight Decrease in Activity

hurricane season numbers

Alberto’s Early Arrival

Just days before June 1, the first named storm of the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season made landfall in the Southeast. As a result of the storm’s moderate winds, Timber Warriors responded to areas in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.

 

The Latest Hurricane Season Projections

Timber Warriors shared the earlier 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season forecasts in its April Newsletter; but since then, days have passed, Alberto was born, and experts have updated previous forecasts. Here’s what you need to know:

  1. On May 31 Colorado State University hurricane researchers published their second Extended Range Forecast and made the following statement: “We have decreased our forecast and now believe that 2018 will have approximately average activity.”
  2. Previously the team predicted 14 named storms, 7 hurricanes, and 3 major hurricanes (Category 3 or higher). As of May 31, those numbers have decreased to 13, 6, and 2.
  3. The probability of at least one major hurricane making landfall on the U.S. coastline decreased by 12% – the team now predicts a 51% likelihood (52% has been the average for the last century).
  4. The NOAA predicts a 35% chance of an above-normal season, a 40% chance of a near-normal season and 25% chance of a below-normal season.
  5. There is still no anticipation of a significant El Niño in the Atlantic this season, and the North Atlantic has cooled over the past two months.
  6. Those who live in areas most vulnerable to hurricanes should take precautions seriously regardless of a season’s forecast. It only takes one storm to cause tragedy.

 

Prepare Today

Timber Warriors is prepared for hurricane season, and Members should be as well. In addition to preparing your crews, equipment, and infrastructure, be sure to:

  1. Follow Timber Warriors on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn for the latest news, weather alerts, storm response updates and job availability.
  2. Stay up-to-date. Provide Membership Department with any new documentation or information about equipment, crews, and capabilities.
  3. Submit storm response availability to members@timberwarriors.com as early on as possible. Timber Warriors will have that information on hand as the claims come in, making you stand out from the rest as a readily available crew.
  4. Make sure proper identification is placed on company vehicles and/or equipment. (See Members’ News Bulletin in the June Newsletter).

Read the full June Newsletter.